The Twenty-first Century
. . . troops returning . . . many women leaving the workforce
. . .Korean war . . . DNA structure described . . . heart
Y2K. . . blogs, portals, wikis. . . . ‘to Google’ becomes a verb
. . . penicillin available. . . swing music and bobby sox. . .
…Vietnam War . . . Index Medicus appears January 1960,
lung machine introduced . . . polio epidemic: Salk, then
. . . global warming . . . George W. Bush president . . . Iraq
streptomycin structure elaborated . . . Truman president . .
MLA News in 1961 . . .Age of Aquarius… Kennedy
Sabin vaccines . . . Xerox copiers . . . poodle skirts . . .
war . . . Web 2.0 . . . Viagra . . . open access publishing . . .
president; assassinated, Johnson president.DNA
Excellence awardees lunch held Spengers'
November 12, 1947
- Thirteen librarians from nine
synthesized . . . thalidomide babies . . . RML established
restaurant in Berkeley, 2004. Left: George MacGregor, Linda Grix,
institutions in San Francisco and Berkeley assemble in the
• NCNMLG hosts first Tri-Chapter Joint Meeting with
Ysabel Bertolucci, Justine Roberts, Nancy
• MLA President, Marguerite Prime, Met with the group
library of the California State Department of Public Health
• 1961/62 Joint Meeting in Southern California where
MLGSCA and the Pacific Northwest Libraries Group,
for dinner in 1951/52, leading to the relationship with
in San Francisco, and thus begins the first meeting of the
members can also attend the World Health Conference
Jacqueline Wilson, Len Shapiro, Dorrie Slutsker, Rebecca Davis
Medical Librarians of the Bay Area
. Its aims include:
• Gifts & Exchanges and Union List Committees
• NCNMLG participates in the first MLA Western Chapters
Meeting with PNW/MLA, MLGSCA, and the Hawaii
• 1966 MEDLARS workshop draws 66 attendees
• The Organizational Guide
created via amending
• Visiting medical and allied science libraries in the Bay
• CAP, the Colleague Appreciation Program, implemented
• New name in 1967/68: NCNMLG
• Keeping abreast of recent advances in medicine
• Professional Development Grant Program implemented;
$700 distributed to awardees Alison Clement and Barbara
• NCNLMG Newsletter and directory move to electronic-
• Professional Excellence awards still going strong:
NCNMLG Today. . .
. . . energy crisis . . . Wade vs. Roe . . . Genetic engineering
. . . Internet revolution – email, WWW, http://, HTML,
. . . AIDS identified . . .Christo wraps everything . . . smoking
(1973) mechanism elaborated . . . mini skirts and beards .
banned on transcontinental flights . . . Berlin Wall comes
Yahoo! . . . card catalogues closing . . . German
Legionnaires disease. . . Jimmy Carter president. . .
down . . . George Bush president . . . Tienanmen Square . . .
unification . . . Northridge quake . . . Downsizing,
• Diamond Jubilee webpage and blog added to
• Members celebrate 50th Anniversary of NCNMLG in
• Nomination of first candidate for the MLA Nominating
• Average librarian salary in all types of libraries is $22, 700 in
• Nancy Whitten Zinn presents “Challenge, Change and
• First issue of the NCNMLG Newsletter
• First Union List created in 1983 with support of PSRML
•Won MLA Chapter of the Year Award for NCNWeb
new committees: Continuing Education, Exchange, and
• NCNMLG Officers use CLASS ONTYME
• Award for Professional Excellence established
• First duplicates exchange list mailed in 1978/79
• Email/Internet Task Force writes brief articles to the
Newsletter for Internet Flash
• Dues - $15• Membership: 350 in 1996
Contents Vol. 72, No. 12, 2008 Simultaneous English language translation of the journal is available from Allerton Press, Inc. Distributed worldwide by Springer. Bulletin of the Russian Academy of Sciences: Physics ISSN 1062-8738. Diffraction of Optical Waves by Nonlinearly Induced Cylinders A. P. Sukhorukov
What is killing the Nuclear Renaissance? 10th IAEE European Conference Steve Thomas (firstname.lastname@example.org) PSIRU ( ), Business School University of Greenwich 2. Shortages of skills and manufacturing capability;3. Unnecessary delays in licensing and planning; The US programme • Announced 2001, first plants to be in service by 2010 but orders not now likely before 2012